Yes, here I am, saying something I thought I would never say...
I read Twilight.
And I didn't hate it.
First off, I have nothing against those of you that enjoy this book series. To each his own, and different strokes for different folks. I like things that I know others don't, and I hope if they give me their opinions about those things, they will still show me respect.
But I just have to say a few things about it. First, it is
ridiculous. I'm very sorry if I offend any of you "Twihards" out there. I
absolutely did not like Stephenie Meyer's writing style. I felt like she was sitting there, writing the same sentences and thoughts over and over again, checking her Thesaurus every 5 minutes to make sure that even though she's writing the EXACT same thing, it would be "different."
Something else that bothered me (and always has): This Bella girl is in high school.
High School. She shouldn't be so "in love" with anyone that she faints when they kiss her (SERIOUSLY!? That was the stupidest thing I've ever read)! I had to stop reading the book a couple of times because of stuff like that. Phrases like "his angelic face" and "I loved the way his breath smelled" had me wanting to throw the book across the room, or even out the window. Or vomit.
Repeatedly.
The story, however, was interesting to me. When the plot was actually moving along, with story line other than the absurd lovey-dovey details, I was very compelled to keep reading. Almost enough to make me want to read the next book. Almost. But then memories of, "Why does he have to be perfect at everything?" come back, and I shudder a little...
I. Love. You. I read the whole series as well, and I thought Stephanie had great ideas just hated her writing style. I agree, she is def too wordy. Come on now, how many times do we need to know she went to science class! Def liked the general idea of her story just not enough to stomach her writing....I did read "The Host" as well...again GREAT idea just way too wordy for my taste!!!! Woman def has talent in the coming up with stories department just dislike her style of writing.
ReplyDeleteSeriously! I just want to "like" this. :)
Deleteyou are so funny! I haven't read those books either. I barely liked the movies well enough to watch the next one in the series. I don't like books that give so much detail where you are like "yeah, okay I got it! It's a mountain!! You don't have to write a page and a half about a stupid Mountain!" So I probably wouldn't like the way it is written either. I think we have the same taste or as I like to call it Good Taste!
ReplyDeleteI hated the books...and yet, I had to keep reading them. I finally stopped hating the books when I got to the fourth one.
ReplyDeleteWendy! I thought that a few times, and it kinda made me mad. Like, "I shouldn't have to keep reading this, because it really isn't great. So, why do I want to!?" That's why I'm sticking to my principles. I found that after a couple of weeks of not reading the next one, it was easier to not want to. Ha ha.
DeleteI read them all just because I wanted to start what I finished.... I felt that I couldn't give a fair opinion until I had read them all...plus I hoped for some insight into why people loved them or maybe see something I had missed and I would like them. It didn't happen. LOL...still don't like them!!!
Delete